Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apexi ECU?

Hello everyone,

My Evo 2 has had an Apexi ECU with a base map fitted according to the previous owner and I really don't understand what that means? I always thought that a map took data such as fuel, air, exhaust and temperature and used that to instruct the ECU to supply more fuel or alter the spark timing to give better performance, possibly following an alteration of the valve timing. I don't understand how a set map can be any good for the engine seen as it must assume that everything is standard when it isn't. I'm getting it rebuilt soon as unsurprisingly it blew up before I bought it but because I'm planning on having it properly rebuilt, I really could do with some advice on what to do with the ECU. I would like one that could be mapped but I really don't know whether the one fitted can be.
    Any help or advice would be appreciated as I'm sure a few of you will have heard of this upgrade before.

Cheers.

Apex'i is a fully open system. It's maps can be adjusted easily, so no need to worry about that.

In this case, a base map will get you started and driving. It's essentially a non-optimized map for the car. It's not as in depth as you would like, specific for you setup, max boost level, etc, but it's not always the case that it's a stock map either.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaseEvo View Post
      Hello everyone,

My Evo 2 has had an Apexi ECU with a base map fitted according to the previous owner
      Any help or advice would be appreciated as I'm sure a few of you will have heard of this upgrade before.
      Cheers.
      Where did you buy the car ...any details on it ?
      You need to go back to the previous owner if possible & check what the map actually is
      Apexi Ecu's were only available for the evo6 onwards so there's no such thing as an e2 base map. It could be that the map was copied from another car and/or it's not suitable
      You need to be careful if/when driving on boost until it's checked / mapped by someone competant

Comment

I bought it from a friend who was the one who blew it up and the owner before him said it was an apexi with a base map. I will have a look tomorrow or over the weekend and start searching part numbers etc to find out what it actually is. It sounds like it never ran properly while he owned it and it lasted him a couple of months max. I can see this rebuild having a lot of hidden (costly) surprises. I'm part way through prepping for respray as well as they'd ratted it for some reason. I got the car for 800 and I have the perfect space for it so I saw it as the right thing to bring back to life and I've got the engine ready for lifting pretty much. The chassis looks good and all panels are straight so hopefully it will be on the road again soon ish.
        I'll post back when I know for sure what the ecu is, I may end up buying a new one out of paint money.
        Cheers.

Comment

Was it rust brown with a shark painted at the front/side ? If so, the original owner used to be on here & I (also) nearly bought it for spares
          As I said above...it probably had the wrong map and/or copied from another

btw
          if it's the one I'm thinking of, was a nice car once but the owner at the time wanted to be different in his own way....unfortunately to the car's detriment, imho

Comment

Yes that's the one. I've removed the teeth and stripped the rust brown off of one side and will do the rest ready for the respray. The ECU is a Blitz Access, I don't know where he got Apexi from? I don't think these can be remapped but I'm not sure. I'd appreciate any advice on these if anyone has any because it's a base upgrade from what I can gather and definitely not one I'd want to run if it can't be remapped personally. I'm going to call DWR again on monday to see how soon they can get it in for the rebuild but I'm starting to feel like I ought to dig into my paint money to get a mappable ECU to ensure it's running right before I start spending on aesthetics.

Comment

Working...
            X