No announcement yet.

Canadian_CD9A's Mild Autocross Evo I RS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a couple things to report. First, I started putting an interior back in. The interior I sourced is a bit ratty, but it will do. The Bride seat rail I bought works perfectly - not having to remove the seat to change the seating position is nice. The Blitz SBC boost controller is almost all in and wired up, it can be seen hanging over the dash.
    Problem: the brass shifter bushings I bought from RTM don't fit the shifter; the inner diameter is too small to slide the pin through. I don't know if it's because the C's short shifter pin is different, but it's a ****-off nonetheless. I'm going to go ahead with the Evo IV shifter instead.

I changed the rear coilovers over to the Toda Fightex units, pretty straightforward stuff. The brake line fitting RR is seized so I have to find a torch to heat them up. The immediate things to do are to fix a broken spotweld from the accident it had, get the rear brakes all done and then move on to the front of the car.

Recent acquisitions (there are many):

Ralliart front plated LSD
    Adelia Magic plated center LSD
    Ralliart trailing arm bushings (extra)
    Ralliart differential bushings (4 - extra)
    Ralliart front roll stopper (extra)
    Ralliart front control arm bushings (3 - extra)
    PTP TD05H turbine housing blanket
    TPP blanket for Forced Performance cast manifold
    APR carbon fiber splitter & canards

More to come. Hopefully the car is driving by the end of July.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Canadian_CD9A; 13-07-2013, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Nice build bud :-). What year are the volvo calipers from and are they a straight swap?

Comment

Originally posted by mbarry View Post
        Nice build bud :-). What year are the volvo calipers from and are they a straight swap?
        Stock Evo calipers - just the rotors are Volvo because they are the easiest-fitting application that we get in Canada.

Comment

Some things to report, most important first.

HARDRACE FRONT CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS AREN'T EVEN CLOSE TO THE CORRECT SHAPE - NONE OF THE 4 WORK

HARDRACE'S CIRCULAR STEERING RACK BUSHING DOES NOT FIT

THE RALLIART EVO 7-9 FRONT ROLL STOP WORKS IN THE EVO 1-3

RTM RACING'S BRASS SHIFTER BUSHING KIT DOES NOT FIT ON THE MAIN PIN OF THE C'S SHIFTER

I'm forced to dip into my private stock for the front control arm bushings and also forced to go spend more money on more bushings - I'm using Ralliart pieces instead because they've never let me down. This is why I'm such a Ralliart fan - their pieces FIT, they are FUNCTIONAL and they DIRECTLY ADDRESS THE CHASSIS' WEAKNESSES. Nobody knows the product better than the manufacturer who used it to go racing.

Anyway, the front subframe is out and I'm trying to put something together. This is an absolute disaster. Here's the subframe ready to go (with the exception of the rack...), and a couple more pictures of what it looks like at the moment.

I'm fiddling with another car right now because the Evo just ticks me off when I look at it. So, here's my new beater - a 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart with 120,000kms. It got t-boned, so I fixed it. Just needs paint and a new muffler (fart can fell off while I drove it down my friend's driveway). Highly underrated at 162hp/162ftlbs, the only thing I'm going to do with it is toss on an Injen intake (already bought), mild sound system, new tires and maintenance. That, and de-rice it. The previous owner painted all of the removal interior trim red...idiot.

Last edited by Canadian_CD9A; 02-08-2013, 03:58 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info on the above!
            Congrats on the new daily beat.

Comment

Alrighty, back to it. I'm hauling ass because I'm moving in a week and I want to drive the car before I leave.

First things first, the following companies are on my s**t list:

HARDRACE
              Reason: crap bushings that they assumed would fit the Evo so they put Evo in the application list and general bad fitment otherwise

ULTRA RACING
              Reason: their lower tie-bar doesn't fit - it's 3/8" longer on one side vs. the other. There's no excuse for that.

Any company in GREEN makes a quality product as far as my experience goes.

Observe the 1 ft mark:

Here's what's been done. New SuperPro steering rack bushings shipped very fast from Australia via JayRacing to replace the garbage HardRace bushings as referenced previously. Thank you JayRacing and SuperPro!!!!

New Ralliart control arm bushings to replace the garbage HardRace control arm bushings are referenced previously. They went in nicely.Ralliart, you rock(ed)! - Note: Ralliart bushing on bottom is the correct size, not the top one.

Ultra Racing fender braces. These fit because you have to drill the holes yourself.

After many skinned knuckles and bad words said, in goes the Forced Performance manifold and SUPERTURBO!!!!1 (with nice PTP turbine blankie). Forced Performance and PTP Blankets make great products!

Turbo in, also with TPP blanket for the FP Race manifold (not wired down yet). Good product!

The rolling stock is ready to go - 17x7 Kosei K1-TS with 215/45R17 Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec tires. Top quality stuff for racing/daily use.

New rear brakes ready to go! Calipers from RockAuto - amazing service at cheap prices. I don't know how they do it. Pads from Carbotech - need I say more? Volvo rotors fit nicely.

Showing off the fantastic pieces from our own xxLoki77xx - his bumpsteer correcting tie-rod endlinks fit nicely (boots are a bit snug but oh well) and camber-curve correcting lower control arms with extended balljoints. His welds are art, help the man out! Also seen are Goodridge brake lines and my pride-and-joy Toda Fightex DX-G coilovers.

Timing belt was done and everything went back together nicely. I don't have a picture of it, but my crank pulley split in 2 since the rubber cracked all around - the thing rotated 75*. Good thing I did the timing belt and caught it - new pulley sourced from RockAuto with lightning-fast service.

Exhaust in. A'Pexi N1 2.5" downpipe to high-flow cat to A'Pexi N1 3" catback. The hangers don't fit so good (they've been modified over the years), they'll get straightened out.

Big thanks also to RTM Racing for many hardware parts, gaskets and maintenance stuff. Also big thanks for sorting out the Evo's axle situation with what works in North America. Most orders from them arrive in 2 days; great service.

It's getting close. Order of business for tomorrow is to notch the front brake calipers to fit the Volvo front rotors and put the car on the ground.

Now in the Canadian_CD9A magical diff vault:
              -Ralliart front clutch-type LSD
              -Adelia Magic mechanical center coupling
              -Ralliart center viscous coupling (x2)
              -Some unknown tarmac-style diff. Possibly Kaaz or Ralliart Motorkhana?

Last edited by Canadian_CD9A; 26-08-2013, 03:05 AM.

Comment

guess i'm not the only one that bought the ultrarace lower h brace and couldn't get it to fit!
                i slotted the holes and still couldn't get it to work so cut off the rear section and just used it between the lower suspension arms... thought my car was bent or something!

Comment

Nice build, I am following this.
                  Keep up the good work buddy!

Comment

where did you get the adelia!!! do want
                    Last edited by DOUGMO; 26-08-2013, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Evo1RS View Post
                      guess i'm not the only one that bought the ultrarace lower h brace and couldn't get it to fit!
                      i slotted the holes and still couldn't get it to work so cut off the rear section and just used it between the lower suspension arms... thought my car was bent or something!
                      It's a shame to see this is common. I considered chopping it and running it in 2 pieces but it probably wouldn't be effective. I'm either going to cut & re-weld it or just toss it.

Originally posted by RCP View Post
                      Nice build, I am following this.
                      Keep up the good work buddy!
                      Thank you, sir!

Originally posted by DOUGMO View Post
                      where did you get the adelia!!! do want
                      I got it out of Japan. It's for sale for the next 4 days (see my for sale post) - I won't be able to ship it after that.

Comment

Game over.
                        I got a lot of stuff done, but ran into a problem I wasn't expecting, now I'm out of time.

Even with the bottom part of the backing plate cut off, the Volvo rotor cannot clear my lower control arm and neither can the stock rotor. Not the end of the world, but I don't have the money or time to have a big brake kit shipped to finish it. So close, yet so far. Damn you HardRace, you set me back 2 weeks with your crap products. I would be driving my car right now if it wasn't for those stupid bushings. Now I have to wait until April or May of next year...to say I'm disappointed is an understatement.

Is anyone willing to trade a big brake kit for one of my diffs or some bushings? I'll put cash on top for the right kit.

I'll be selling my current front brake setup since it won't work on my car...new Volvo rotors (non-swept areas painted with VHT high-temp black), new Carbotech XP8s and stock calipers notched to clear the larger Volvo rotors.
                        Last edited by Canadian_CD9A; 29-08-2013, 01:42 AM.

Comment

This is it for this year, thanks for tuning in, folks :)

Comment

Awesome build; great attention to detail! Sad to see you couldn't finish it this year.

Comment

Very nice build thus far! Lots of good info here for the North American earlies. We're abouts did you pick that down pipe up from? Have you taken that Fram filter off yet?!

Best wishes for her in the new year!

Comment

Originally posted by patrickd_21 View Post
                                Awesome build; great attention to detail! Sad to see you couldn't finish it this year.
                                Ah, I missed this. It will eventually get done, thanks for the encouragement!

Originally posted by taylorvw View Post
                                Very nice build thus far! Lots of good info here for the North American earlies. We're abouts did you pick that down pipe up from? Have you taken that Fram filter off yet?!

Best wishes for her in the new year!
                                I bought the downpipe out of Japan, it's a slightly used but excellent condition A'Pexi N1, very high quality piece. I suspect that the flange was replaced once upon a time and clocked about 10-15 degrees, which made fitting the catback difficult, but it's all ok now.

I haven't taken the Fram filter yet, I'll be doing my oil change in the spring. I've never had an issue with them on my daily driver Civic, I'll let you know when I remove it.

I'm still making preparations for the coming spring - I'll be addressing aero in a visually offensive manner (I think you guys will love what I have lined up), I've been in contact with Stewart from FreakyParts to build me a nice Wilwood Superlite kit with 2-piece rotors to fit my control arms and I also wish there was a rear brake upgrade for our cars that retained a mechanical handbrake. Those calipers are wussy.

I'm thinking about gutting my interior again after seeing this car http://www.4gtuner.com/topic/21887-w...going-on-ebay/

Next winter will be my transmission - I'm using my Ralliart front LSD and Kaaz center LSD, in addition to full rebuild (possibly going to farm this one out). The plan is to stick with Evo 1 gear ratios because they're superior, but put double synchro on all of the gears since I bag the heck out of them, especially 1st. I might go with Evo III hubs/sliders/forks/etc if they're stronger. I think preload on the front differential will be high, preload on the center somewhat average-to-high, and I'll tear apart the rear and rebuild it with higher preload.

I've also got an itch to do the motor - probably a budget 2.3L stroker with a 4G64 crankshaft, 156mm rods and a decent 9.0:1 to 10.0:1 compression piston. Head would probably stay mostly stock for ports, just adding GSC S2 or HKS 272 cams.

Turbos are really getting to me. I like my setup now but after seeing what a Borg-Warner EFR7670 does to the 4G63, I'm sold. Some have made 500ft-lbs at 4000 RPM with these, which is phenomenal to say the least. I like responsive cars, but when you can make unreal numbers doing it, you have a winner.

My next limiting factor is tires, but there's no way to address this since I will not cut up my quarters under any circumstances. I'll just have to stick to 215s, unfortunately.

Ah, dreams..

Comment

Working...
                                X