EVO 1 RS. Track/Road Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVO 1 RS. Track/Road Project

Well finally its here, I managed to source an EVO 1RS from Ireland at a very cheap rate. Used Shiply.com to get it here.

Anyways. Day 1 Pics.

On Arrival
    Its holding some austere company on the transporter, new mercs and a roller :D

Having a nosey to see whats what, whats soon apparent is I have a bit of work to do, and a list of parts required is forming rapidly! Standard ECU is in the glovebox so seller has said its an Evo8 ecu....until i get to it i cant confirm.
    Bit of smoke when it first started, so will have to keep my eye on that.

TD05 turbo, which is standard isnt it? BOV, Filter, Strut braces front and back, and what looks like apex springs. I havent got to the suspension just yet. Seems solid enough underneath from what i have seen so far.

Not sure if the front seats are standard or not, anyways the drivers one doesnt stay upright, im going to have to lift it out and see whats what.

Also will need a nearside front light unit, it seems to have had a push inwards. bumper is slightly creased but its not bothering me too much. Also it seems to have an xtd clutch.

It does go some....its hard to drive right now due to the seat not staying in position.

So first list of jobs is to prep it for UK registration and an MOT.

Last edited by xlr8; 21-02-2012, 10:44 AM.

looks smooth without the spoiler,tdo5 16g is standard mate get a parts list up and we will see what we can do oh your still not having my spoiler lol

Comment

Originally posted by nickevo2rs View Post
      looks smooth without the spoiler,tdo5 16g is standard mate get a parts list up and we will see what we can do oh your still not having my spoiler lol
      awwwwwww

Its not as bad as i thought without the spoiler.

Parts wanted list being formed right now....

Comment

Originally posted by miller View Post
        awwwwwww

Its not as bad as i thought without the spoiler.

Parts wanted list being formed right now....
        i like it without. can anyone confirm this as a factory option? like the impreza type ra's?

Comment

Originally posted by joeb_1 View Post
          i like it without. can anyone confirm this as a factory option? like the impreza type ra's?
          I think you could specify 'minus the aero package' from factory. There has certainly never been a spoiler on there. no visible fixing holes that i can see or feel.

Comment

Originally posted by joeb_1 View Post
            can anyone confirm this as a factory option? like the impreza type ra's?
            no
            all e1-3's had a rear spoiler & kit

Comment

I think you could specify 'minus the aero package' from factory. There has certainly never been a spoiler on there. no visible fixing holes that i can see or feel.
              imho, the bootlid has been changed
              could have been taken from a Mirage which doesn't have a rear spoiler

& btw
              1. front seats are not standard
              very basic in any RS....as they're often changed for rally kit/prep

2. it's had a front-end knock....the slam panel looks out of shape
              where the light has been pushed in
              Suggest you check that the suspension arms/other etc are ok
              Last edited by xlr8; 26-03-2011, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joeb_1
                cheers miller i had always wondered.
                ?
                what ?

Comment

Originally posted by xlr8 View Post
                  ?
                  what ?
                  sorry yan, was posting at the same time as you and hadnt noticed your posts

Comment

Are carpets necessary for MOT?

I preusme all belts and seats are?

Cheers Yan, I will have it up on ramps tomorrow and will be checking it all out. Ill post a pic if im not sure....

Cheers guys

Comment

Went to remove the wheels! halted quite quickly.

any ideas where i can get the internal star drive sockets?

Comment

should have come with the car mate have you checked around for it? its like locking wheel nuts

Comment

removing wheel nuts

I had the same trouble when i bought my car 6 years ago.

two locking wheel nuts on each wheel and no key to remove them.

take your time though and it can be fairly straightforward to remove them. Before you butcher them, it looks like they may be similar to the type used on BMWs so it might be worth trying one of them first.

if not then you need to use something to hammer into the splined socket to remove them. from experience, its better to do this by hand that use a rattle gun (air ratchet gun) as the vibration can loosen whatever you've just hammered into there to allow you to remove them.

I suggest you try something like an allen key hex with a 1/2" drive socket. pick one just a little larger that the splined hole and hammer it in with a big hammer, careful you don't blooter your alloys though. when removing them, take it easy and back off the nuts. These will be brittle though and may break if you get too rough. also, you may need more than one if it gets too mullered when you hammer it in there.

you can get wheel nut removing sockets that have a left hand thread on their ID but i'd say you wouldn't manage to use these as they go over the outside of the locking nuts and may foul your wheel, also they don't always take a bite too well. I used them once and had to turn down the OD which weakened the thing as the wall thickness was reduced.

obviously, replace them with new wheel nuts, either locking or not.

Good Luck!

Comment

...failing that, go round some of your local tyre fitters, and see if any of them can help. Some of them keep generic locking wheelnut keys incase customers have lost theirs.

I agree with all that Halfarsed_Halfyard has posted though. Would maybe be easier doing as he suggests, yourself.

Comment

Went to remove the wheels! halted quite quickly.
                              any ideas where i can get the internal star drive sockets?
                              try Halfords or e.g. Machine Mart for star-drive sockets
                              or....
                              you can get the proper 'Tuner nut' key cheap from ebay
                              http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPLINE-KEY-REM...#ht_1250wt_905

Comment

Working...
                              X