No announcement yet.

EVO 1 RS. Track/Road Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome this is moving along again now. Will be good to see it out when its done

Comment

• Originally posted by RALLYEWEEZLE View Post
      Awesome this is moving along again now. Will be good to see it out when its done
      Cheers! Its a long process but I cant wait to drive it again. Its crazy how much you can miss a car!

Comment

• So one of my bug bears for the last few years was the fact I lost all the door cards when I first got the car, when I mean lost I really mean that an act of throwing them out would be a painful thought. A week of lightening the car when I bought it in an attempt to get sub 1000kgs pretty much anything unnecessary was ejected. So my current plan to get a super clean road going rally look would be with homemade door cards, always a but of a 'meh' in my mind.

I was resigned to an attempt at homemade door cards, I never truly had 100% confidence in my ability or any abs plastic/card/perspex material to get a half way nice finish. I was now considering putting in a standard Lancer GSR interior door cards, hell even looking at standard 1.6GLXi Lancer model door cards!

Then on Sunday just gone an advert popped up, a mate was furiously ringing me to give me the heads up. Eventually 27mins after the advert went live I had spoken to the seller, turns out it was a decent guy I had dealt with and bought parts of three four years ago! A deal was struck and the next morning early doors, pun intended myself and my mate found ourselves winging our way north on the N2 for a 360km round trip, Raphoe in Donegal being the destination. Up for sale was a parts car, or more specifically a few bits off Evo 2 RS Rally car that was looking worse for wear. The seller has a beautiful Yellow Evo 3 he is restoring and this car was his own parts car. More importantly, yes you got it the RS Door cards were there! My personal holy grail! They looked more intact than a set I had my fingers on in Canada which i was nearly hitting the buy button on!

My mate about to embark on his own Evo 3 restoration needed a few items too, so with some cash in our wallets a day trip was in order! Such a stunning sunny day made for a beautiful trip north, a much needed welcome break after all our recent wind and snow.

The scene upon our arrival.

A very sorry looking donor car whose days were long behind it and its future of not being long for this world. Its a sad moment walking around this and peering inside, imagining it in its heyday. Someones pride and joy, Someones fast machine that they hurtled around narrow lanes and quarries in the quest for personal bests and timed sections. Rust or natures carbon fibre had taken hold, body parts were crumbling under the touch. We got off what we needed, I had intended to take a lot more like doors as spares but there just wasn't enough in them to warrant me spending on spares at this time. I had intended on taking the front bumper but it was beyond repair. To have an original Evo1 bumper along with the Evo3 bumper would help with originality for the future Until the seller mentioned he had a spare Evo1 bumper! When it arrived complete with the extra fog lights I was even happier. Wallets lightened we set off home, safe in the knowledge the seller should now have enough funds to rebuild his engine and we had an Octavia sized car full of spider infested parts

I couldnt help myself but hang a door card on just get a look

Then sure why not throw up the farmyard spec front bumper 'for another look' Can you tell how chuffed I was with myself!

Comment

• The desire to get cleaning the door cards took hold of me, in reality it was a job that really could have waited until the re assemble process, months down the line. With long days of rust removal ahead of me it seemed the much nicer option.

What I was dealing with...I got some great input from Brian over at Spirit Detailing. Thanks needs to be sent his way!

The clean up, general citrus degreaser.

First pass with the plastic die....

Finally the UV top coat applied..Big difference. Time will tell how long these hold up. But the worst is done to be fair.

Comment

• Next up, I received the brakes back from blasting and total rebuild. All new pistons, seals and caps.

Time for some paint, makes a change painting with colour rather than black or white!

Comment

• Then there was simply no avoiding it, I had to make a start on the underneath. This was the whole point of the project and with the garage starting to fill with shiny bits awaiting fitting the whole thing was starting to stress me out. So Saturday just gone I had the rare opportunity of a day to myself, bar a football match with the daughter. The toss up between 4 hours on the bike or a day of chewing rust was won simply by the sun shining. With visions of warm summer days, car shows, road trips that vision won over the vision of hanging out the rear of a peleton!

The underside needed a clean down first, the first picture gives and idea of what I was dealing with. The arches exposed from the splash liners had a few years of dirt engrained.

A good dose of wheel cleaner mixed with Jizer soon loosened up the dirt. It was then onto good old soapy water and a scrubbing brush.

Cleaned and exposed, surface spots of rust starting to show what I had to deal with.

Then the grinding, rubbing and brushing started. This was always going to be a siege, given I was working from the floor and not with a rotisserie. So opening the garage door, setting a fan to gently blow dust out in an attempt to keep myself and the garage clean I proceeded to give myself a stiff neck and sore arms!
              Solid shell still so far, just surface mess to deal with. Only removing what is totally necessary. I will aim to cover in the Bilt Hamber Deox rust remover gel the parts i cant get at with the brush/grinder.

Starting underneath, whats to be dealt with.

As the progress moves on, its starting to come clean..

Getting better, the spirits start to lift as the worst job is underway. Sadly my time for the next couple of weeks is extremely tight, a holiday and a full calendar will be a battle.

Comment

• Keep it up!
                Good find on the door panels. I want to do the Porsche treatment on mine (wrap them in a black fabric, and use a pull strap instead of the arm rest), but I'm afraid I'll have a mob after me for tarnishing a set.

Comment

Working...
                X