No announcement yet.

EVO 1 RS. Track/Road Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So a few more hours at it, got the front suspension and arms re installed, then I went to start at the back, its all mechano style right! Until a captive nut sheared on me the expletives filled the garage for a while. The captive nut is in a chassis rail and zero access from the rear. Initially I though ok, cut a slot to allow a long socket to grip the bolt, but nope. No access. Gotta head scratch for a while with that. It may be beyone my capabilities

Just before it, all laid out ready to fit...

Comment

• Front Suspension, hubs and arms all in, just calipers and lines to finish off.

Comment

• Front calipers and lines installed along with new pads. OEM pads for now until this thing is moving. Then to upgrade to Mintex or Carbotech later on when its road bound.
        Then a momentous occasion, it was time to start refitting at the rear, starting with the fuel tank, subframe, Differential and the protection plates. This means it will soon be rolling, and rolling off for paint!
        Last edited by miller; 01-02-2019, 10:32 AM.

Comment

• Unsure if there is any point making an effort to update this thread! No one on the forum at all!

Comment

• We are still here. Just busy buddy. Sucks. That this all happened. I want it to come back.

Comment

• I love what you've done with the car lately. Don't stop updating, please!

Comment

• Onwards so!

Things moving swiftly on, the car is potentially being taken off me on Friday. The paint guy wants it in his workshop to make a start. It wont be a quick turnaround though.

The rear end all buttoned up now...Just calipers and propshaft to go on, but these wont go on until its back from paint. The car will be loaded up and shipped out, Im trying to make life as easy as possible for the paint shop

Nothing can beat a before and after photo to help with the self belief!

I need to get a move on with the internal primer coat!
                Last edited by miller; 04-10-2018, 01:34 PM.

Comment

• This is nuts. I miss doing this so much...... I can't wait to get my hands on one again.

Comment

• Looking good.

Comment

• Seriously do NOT stop updating

It's nice to see a project come through to completion

Mike
                      Viamoto

Comment

• Originally posted by oakleaf View Post
                        Seriously do NOT stop updating

It's nice to see a project come through to completion

Mike
                        Viamoto
                        Hi Mike, thanks for the few bits and pieces so far. Great to have a dealer that posts to Ireland without fuss. Progress has been slow but steady. Ill update now.

Comment

• Interior refresh has been trundling alongside the rest of the work, for example when the back breaking work underneath gets too much it was a relief to pop inside to start cleaning and grinding. The desire to just have a totally fresh and clean look means a total deep clean. The aim is to have it all prepped and a primer layer on when it goes off for paint; with the roof to be removed the inside will see a bit of footfall and debris hence not a finished coat. While painting the external the plan is to give the internal a blow over to match the outside. I’m researching some dynamat or longer lasting 'carpet' I can fix into drivers and passenger footwell only. If anyone has any tips on such a material please shout up. I don’t want chequer plate, prefer a softer 'black' option.
                          What the inside looked like from day 1 Lots of grime, spots of surface rust after years of taking a hammering from tools, wheelsets and feet from trackdays over the years.

After grinding all the spots down and a thorough deep clean, all amount of chemicals used Jizer and phNeutral wheel cleaner worked best for me.

Time for the Fertan rust treatment again. Im getting some mileage out of the 1litre bottle, about a 1/4 left!

The Fertan turns black when it’s reacting and protecting the bare metal, the rest of the ‘brown’ simply wipes away with a damp cloth. This leaves you with the Dalmatian effect as I now call it!

Then its primer primer primer, as before on the underbody I use a primer with rust protectant in it. Building layers up gradually until it turns into something like this.

Comment

• New minty fresh wheels to complement the hopefully minty fresh paint. 16'' Comp Mo's

Comment

• So its been a while since I revisited this thread, mainly due to lack of progress or updates. With family issues taking centre stage and the never ending wait for a good bodyshop.

Early in November I had the much anticipated visit from the paint guy to assess the car in my garage. I had been chasing him for ages to come and look and give me a ball park figure. He came recommended from everyone I spoke to in the area. Having never sent a car for full paint before I was suitably nervous. Now I had an idea of price and the little squirrel fund was still being topped up.
                              Que the day the phone rang, 'Im outside' he says and mild panic ensues.

Upon the door going up and a quick look over he utters a groan, 'ah for christ sakes' he mutters. My heart sank, this was going to be a battle, a siege, he could see issues straight away that i had missed. Dollar signs were ticking upwards in my eyes in true cartoon style whilst my mood started to sink. The initial euphoria of the next stage quickly evaporated.....

'' I cant charge you half what I normally would'' he utters smiling at me ''straightest Jap body ive seen in a long time'' ''sure you have it all stripped, all the dog work done'' where the next phrases that came out of his mouth..the mood suitably lifted. The old girl isnt that bad and the end is within grasping point!

''Ill take it in December and may have it back over Christmas'' was the next catchphrase that just reignited the euphoria. A flurry of activity then followed, digging out some old track wheels, watching with frustration as a couple of R888's werent holding air anymore. Refit the steering wheel. Loosely fit the lights as requested for alignment and then dig out all the body parts i had collected including the new roof skin.

So weeks later and Friday last I got the text, Ill pick it up Saturday or Monday depending when his recovery guy was available.

So yesterday this happened. Quite a momentous feeling watching it roll out into daylight for the first time in ages. February seems to be a bit of a target for this rolling out as it will mark the one year anniversary. Famous last words eh!

I followed the truck up to the shop with a boot full of body parts....it was then I warned him of my obsession of documenting progress and my never ending trips to the shop. ''so long as you bring bisuits'' was the response

Last edited by miller; 01-02-2019, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• After a few visits over the Christmas Break with nothing happenening I decided to leave well alone for a while! It then became a wondering time, wondering has work started, wondering if glass came out ok, wondering if replacement roof is ok, wondering about everything. So this afternoon I plucked up the courage to go again. News! Work has started and off at a flying pace...

One or two issues but thats to be expected, the original windscreen has two stone chips in it quite close together. Memory serves me right some Belgian truck on the E40 did that. The Glass guy said it would be a NCT fail the two close together and offered €170 for a new screen which I thought reasonable,might as well install it now while its open.

Old roof was incredibly rotten and the body guy reckoned a good slam of a door would have blown a hole in it

Prepped, wings off, doors off, glass out, prepped.....

New Roof in and bonded.....

Comment

Working...
                                X