Alex's Evolution II

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex's Evolution II

I thought I'd post a few photos of the car I've been working on and racing for the last 4 years. It's an Evo II. When I bought the car it was completely standard, not even a replacement exhaust. Now look what I've done to the poor thing.

This winter we installed a new roll cage, an effort to increase my safety at hillclimbs next season. While the car was apart completely I raised the rear shock towers 2" to lower the car without losing wheel travel. I did this because I'm using CT9A struts and the rears are longer than "ours"

I also pared the body harness and engine harness down to the bare minimum which took about 20 hours.

Some photos of last season- Time attack at Chicago.. See how high the car is at this event..

Last edited by agrabau; 14-07-2017, 04:58 PM.

What an impressive build
    Would love a go,in that!
    Is the power at the wheels?
    Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris! Yes, that output is to the wheels.

Comment

Great work on the Evo, and it sounds like you're being very creative and resourceful to get the best out of the car. Looking forward to reading tales and seeing more pics. When does next season start?

Comment

Dave, thanks. I wish I lived in a warmer climate. Snow last night here in Boston...

I would say that April is the month to shoot for, some time away from now. I plan on having the car "done" at the end of January. We all know how the best plans go to #### and late Jan usually means March 1.

This coming year we will be traveling to Pennsylvania which is about 7 hours away for a couple of their hillclimb events; Giant's Despair and Duryea Hillclimb. Giant's Despair is the oldest constantly running motorsport event in the US and looks to be a great course.

Comment

Boston? Small world. A co-worker of mine was from originally from Boston but now has moved back to Vermont.

Good luck with the build. Let me know if I can be of any help from here in Japan.

Comment

Hi Alex,

Well done on getting some good pics and wicked review up :) Very interested in following the build espcially the rear strut work as being able to lower the car more like your after would be handy to say the least! What have you used to widen your track? Just spacers or have you used different arms etc?

Dan

p.s. thanks for the info on raceonusa, ordering my bits up from them

Comment

Dan, the width from hub to hub remains the same. We made the rear arms because as you can see the CT9A has two tabs at the bottom of the strut and not a hole that a bolt passes through. The wheel offset is what changed the track width mostly. They're 17*9, et 20. I'd like to try 16*9 or 10 for hillclimbs since the arches, while cut out are still a lot smaller than a modern car.

I had to cut the rear arches almost to the rear door and then cut sheetmetal and weld the gap shut so water and dirt wouldn't come off the rear tire and into the trunk.

I bought some new flares that are similar to the raceon ones but a little less wide. I think that they might suit the car better. If they work I'll have another set of Raceon Fenders for sale.
                Last edited by agrabau; 14-07-2017, 04:59 PM.

Comment

I was going to ask you about the wheels because I thought that 16" would be ideal for handling wise for what we both use the car for, plus can hear on your videos you have probs with rubbing. The problem I have is trying to find some lightwieght but wide say 9J wheels in the UK. Not too much choice for the earlies but I know you have the 5 stud conversion so have a little more choice.

The fab work on those rear arms looks mate!

Ok no probs on the fenders ill have your ones off you if you sell them, i emailed Raceon the other day about delivery so havent ordered them yet. I quite like real wide look :D Are yours the CF ones or just the normal ones?

Originally posted by agrabau View Post
                  Dan, the width from hub to hub remains the same. We made the rear arms because as you can see the CT9A has two tabs at the bottom of the strut and not a hole that a bolt passes through. The wheel offset is what changed the track width mostly. They're 17*9, et 20. I'd like to try 16*9 or 10 for hillclimbs since the arches, while cut out are still a lot smaller than a modern car.

I had to cut the rear arches almost to the rear door and then cut sheetmetal and weld the gap shut so water and dirt wouldn't come off the rear tire and into the trunk.

I bought some new flares that are similar to the raceon ones but a little less wide. I think that they might suit the car better. If they work I'll have another set of Raceon Fenders for sale.

Comment

Another small update. Since there's only one seat I only need one door panel. I just finished this... thinking of it took longer than making it. It's pressed wood board, 1/4 inch thick with contact spray cement and plaid fabric pulled over it and over the back a little. I bought red rivets to pop it onto the door.

This week I also upgraded my PS cooler to something larger.

The seat is now basically on the floor and 3" back from where it was last year. I'm going to buy a long quick release hub for ease of egress.
                    Last edited by agrabau; 14-07-2017, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Good to see you here Alex, just love your evo (and the sound roars like a panther tank with a maybach 23 litre petrol engine)

Comment

Thanks Marcel. It's good to hear from you. It's been a while. :)

I will have some more updates soon. I have to repair a chaffed power steering line, rebuild the rear differential and align the car before spring. That's really all that's left. I'm doing the differential because it's never been done and it's due for some fresh bearings and seals anyway.

Alex

Comment

Good job Alex!

my evo is stripped the only thing whats left are the front and rear screens. the welding and reinforcement are almost done and than the rebuild can begin .

with the new engine , and dogbox(don,t know what i will be using yet)
                          on the moment i am having argument with my wiring loom for my SM4 , i like to use the J722t instead of the 0227100200 but have to find the wiringdiagram for it. so had to pull some strings .

Comment

If you want to just put those into my car, I'd be happy to drive my car there for it. :laugh:

I really want to make it down there sometime to see your car run a hillclimb. Its what I'd love my Evo to become.

Comment

Originally posted by agrabau
                              Some photos from today-

What diff is that mate? Where from?

Nice and shiny!

Comment

Working...
                              X